Adaptation Canada 2020
Date: February 19-21, 2020
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Adaptation Canada 2020 is Canada’s national conference on climate change adaptation.
Building on the success of the 2016 conference in Ottawa, Adaptation Canada 2020 rolls out February 19-21 for three intensive days, plus ample opportunities for networking and socializing. It all takes place in Vancouver, on Canada’s west coast, on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territories of the Musqueam, Tsleil-Waututh and Squamish First Nations.
This conference is unique. It’s the confluence of energy and expertise brought by Canadians from different sectors, disciplines and regions of the country. With a rise in global temperatures, we know Canada is already facing critical challenges and more are on the horizon. Together we’ll explore the latest on climate projections, impacts and opportunities for risk reduction.
What will Climate Change Bring?
- Warmer air and ocean temperatures
- Extreme temperature swings
- Severe storms
- Heavy precipitation
- Melting permafrost
- Sea level rise
What’s at Risk of Disruption?
- Communities, especially in sensitive and disaster-prone areas
- Critical infrastructure – communications, utilities, electrical, fuel & water
- Transportation routes and systems
- Environmental health – air, water and land
- Human health, especially in vulnerable populations
- Industrial operations, such as mining, forestry, fisheries, energy & agriculture
- Public security and service delivery
We’re Tackling the Adaptation Challenge
No part of our lives as Canadians – and no part of our social structure, economy or environment – is immune to climate change. Today, public and private sector leaders are stepping up to a dual challenge: first, to tackle the harmful emissions that drive climate change and, second, to find ways to adapt to the climate change impacts that are already unavoidable.
Adaptation Canada 2020 is at that centre of who’s who and what’s what when it comes to innovation on climate change adaptation.